23 April 2007

holding on to the good stuff

I did something for emotional-retard-boy before I realised he was so. It was embarrassing at the time - to do something cool + spontaneous for someone who turned out to be neither - but when I think about it now I have to smile. Hopefully one day the inspiration will hit for someone who's worth it. In the meantime I'm going to capture the Cool + Spontaneous Thing here for posterity*.

A couple of weeks before my ill-fated visit to Melbourne I stumbled into a crazy mood. There's no point in fighting those damn things, so I went with it. I packed up a Dirty Weekend Emergency Kit + sent it on down. It contained:

--a couple of photos of myself (in case he'd forgotten what I look like)
--a couple of disguises - groucho mo, glow-in-the dark glasses, tiara (in case he was disappointed by what I look like)
--a list of cool questions I'd come up with (in case we ran out of conversation)
--a mills+boon-style novella (in case we ran out of romance)
--a pack of uno (in case we ran out of things to do)
--a plastic donkey (in case either of us felt like an ass + needed company)
--a packet of clinkers

If I'd known he was going to show all his friends I probably wouldn't have slipped the Nympho Librarian in with the photos. Oops... how did that get there?

If I'd stopped to consider that the donkey could be a reference to package-size I never would've gone there.

If I'd known the uno was going to come in so handy I would've splurged on pick-up-sticks or maybe even guess who. (Anything other than scrabble!)

If I'd known that questions along the lines of Chicken or duck?, If you could invite anyone over to dinner who would it be?, and What was the happiest time in your life? would be "wooooahhh, too heavy man" I could've saved myself an airfare.

Live + learn, my friends. Live + learn. (Or maybe that should be live + laugh at myself!?)

*An aside: Is posterity a real word? Or does 'posterity' refer to the 'posterior' +, hence, 'arse'. I always wonder about that one.

1 comment:

Claire said...

P.S. posterity

1. The descendants collectively of any person (or, in extended use, any living thing); all who are descended from a common ancestor.

2. a. As a mass noun: all future generations of people collectively, esp. regarded as the beneficiaries of a particular inheritance, tradition, culture, etc. for (also in) posterity: for (the sake or good of) future generations; for the future.
b. As a count noun: a later generation. Now rare.