02 October 2006

more on making

Why is it that there is so much pleasure in all this bricolage? Barbara in her soap + furniture polish, me with the bread. The tracklements I love to make. The pickled oranges, the salted lemons + now the lemon chutney I'm about to make. I think it's really a form of play. It has a deep ancient connection to creativity. To change one thing into another is to make a person happy. There are some people who can barely take a look at a thing without having an impulse to change it into another.

Kate Llewellyn, 'Playing with Water', 2005, pp.217-218

4 comments:

Gonzo Gonzalez said...

With respect, it sounds to me like typical "women's business".

Why, look you now, how unworthy a thing you make of me! You would play upon me. You would seem to know my stops. You would pluck out the heart of my mystery. You would sound me from my lowest note to the top of my compass.
Hamlet, 3, 2, 371

Though, better in the kitchen than the nut-house.

Claire said...

Ha! Another provocateur... could there be a link? I've been a bit slow off the mark but don't think I don't know you.

I'll keep my "sentimental bullshit a flow" mate. Where's yours?

Gonzo Gonzalez said...

Sentimental? I'm afraid I lack your bravery. Nice playing in the sandpit with you, though.

I like your snail. You'd ike me to say more, wouldn't you, you little vixen: provocation indeed!

Claire said...

You don't need provoking mate. Your brand of goodness flows freely of its own accord. (And I do have numerous examples to back this up.)

Thanks for staying in touch. It's been fun.