24 June 2007

more moaning

Yep, she's still whingeing. Avert your eyes if you're bored already!

Today’s been pretty shithouse for a Sunday. Spent the morning preparing for a job interview, which requires an oral dissertation on how I would “manage key leadership functions” inherent to the internal promotion. WTF?

After that I braved the Figgers Westfield maxi-mall in search of winter clothes. After a major intervention by Weeze I've finally acknowledged that I can’t survive the colder months clad only in an assortment of t-shirts + three-quarter cardigans. On a hot tip from Holley I headed for K-mart with my wardrobe wishes held high, like a flag of hope fluttering in a gentle breeze of consumer confidence. Well that flag was in blood-splattered tatters within minutes my friends.

It would seem that Holley visits a K-mart in an alternate dimension, where the sun shines, the neat racks are brimful of quality pure wool knits + the delightful staff are more than happy to help you find fashion gems in your size. I don't know where the bloody hell that shop is, cos mine is packed to the rafters with screaming children, screaming bogans + synthetic tracksuits in the full range of sizes 8 + 28 (note that I did not say 8 to 28, oh no no-no-no nooooo...).

I had a tension headache before I'd even pushed my way past the rainbow of ugg boot + Barbie bedhead displays at the front of the store. By the time I'd located the only two non-nylon items in the shop I was about ready to commit atrocities. I did try to push on, I swear. I braved the fruit + veg shop + was halfway through the supermarket gate when I realised that I just couldn't face it. My abrupt reverse pissed several people off but I figure it was only fair that I got some annoying behaviour in there somewhere.

I decided to cheer myself up + go crazy over a cinnamon donut but the donut shop was closed, so in a moment of desperation I did it... something so horrible that I can barely speak its name out loud. I stopped in at Gloria Jean's. I'm not going to pretend that I've never been in there before, but my only previous crime against coffee was probably four years ago now, + it was a case of extreme workplace duress.

I was doing some project work at UTS with a bunch of girls who were lovely (+ I do mean that) but about as different to me as gazelles on the savannah. When a GJ's opened up the street they were in raptures. There were endless office discussions about the beauty of decaf-mocha-frappe-crappe-chinos + the subtle deliciousness of the pot-pourri-pine-o-cleen coffee blends on offer at the store. Every day was a new opportunity to gush over GJ's + there was a limit to the effectiveness of my excuse that I would rather stick my own head in a blender + hit "frappe" than partake in that revolting excuse for coffee. So I got dragged along from time to time. Come to think of it, I may even have been given some sickly-sweet-faux-vanilla-infused gift-pack upon my departure.

So this was the first visit since then. I asked for a portuguese tart to take away + they handed me a giant paper bag. It wasn't til I got home + opened it that I realised that the bag contained 1 x very small tart, 1 x enormous heavy duty plastic plate, 1 x heavy duty plastic fork + 4 x serviettes. I mean, for goodness sakes! Who has ever eaten a portuguese tart with a fork? Or needed four serviettes to clean up after themselves? This is my number one problem with places like GJ's. If you choose to eat that kind of rubbish food, fine. (Although of course there are ethical + environmental ramifications to that choice as well.) But at least consider the intense amount of waste that seems to be unavoidable with any purchase. Many of those places don't even have reusable crockery + cutlery for use inside the store. And it drives me bananas. (In case you couldn't tell.)

Phew! I feel better now!

Actually several things are contributing to me feeling better already... Jason's on his way over for a cuppa + a chat. I'm going to cook up a big lentil bolognese + stew some rhubarb tonight, which will see me fully recovered from shoping-mall-madness. Mmmm... winter goodness.

The fact that my travels had a supersonic soundtrack also helped me to keep smiling. Ethan fitted the new car stereo yesterday, in a burst of manly activity that had my head awhir. There was all sorts of confusing electronic activity going on - wires everywhere, sound checks, isolating the different speakers, sockets + soldering. I did my bit by hovering around, saying "u-huh, sounds good to me" + shining a torch for a bit. And then it was done. So impressive. I picked out my crappiest, most scratched-up burnt cds + blasted them around town with nary so much as one skip.

And something helped me to seriously love my lot this morning. I called Adam - a nice fella that Sarah's been trying to set me up with - to take a raincheck on our coffee date. At about 10am he'd already spent several hours at work. He's an industrial abseiler + his mission for the morning had been abseilling into a "waste shunt" beneath the Town Hall food court in Sydney. This is - from what I can make out - a giant vat that every food outlet drains its waste into. I have no idea what he was doing down there (or why he agreed to go down there, in fact) but all I could think of was that scene from Kenny where our hero is lowered into a septic tank. Adam hadn't seen the movie but he knew exactly what I was talking about + could even quote the relevant line... there's a smell in there that will outlast religion.

I do love a bit of perspective for helping me pull my head out of my own bum!

10 comments:

Tones said...

I'm with you both on the anticlimax of the Kmart experience....Vlad has some interesting comments on that one too.... I reckon opp shops too...then doing something like this too it:
http://dolangeimanartist.com/?rescued_clothing_photo_gallery
to make it arty and you...I'm gonna try but may fail dismally so you will see me in the same old rags.

crybaby said...

i shop online these days.

crybaby said...

ah yes, industrial abseiling.

the only job where you start at the top and work your way to the bottom.

crybaby said...

p.s. did i mention that he is a funny bugger?

Claire said...

BEC SAID...

have I mentioned how much I love your blog. love it. So entertaining.

So, on the jumper advice, while this won't help you this year but I think it could in the future.

My secret is Country Road. they do great knits. They last a long time and they seem to use decent wool that doesn't pill and look like something from the Salvo's after one wear.

So this is my tip, go and get a country road card. you just walk in and sign up. They have excellent sales for members only, so you get the discounts first.
They also have proper sales where you can buy things for half price or less. There winter sale is also normally at the beginning of June, when winter has only just begun (unless, like me, you foolishly visited Canberra in April for some tush freezing).

thats all I got, go forth, be warm.

Claire said...

BEC ALSO SAID...
In defence of Kmart, they sell good slippers.

Claire said...

Wow! What a lot of interest this topic has garnered. We all pretend to be non-girly-girls, but the mere mention of shopping sends us into a lather! (Or perhaps it's more the K-mart experience + the relief that can be found in sharing the trauma.)

I love the idea of being completely creative with my wardrobe - re-fashioning things to fit my personality + style. But I have neither the time nor enough creative nous. I'm envious of people who do, like the link that Tones provided above and this amazing woman Tess, who obviously has a sugar daddy...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/madebytess/sets/72157594584875739/

Tess has taken a six month challenge to rework her existing wardrobe using a myriad of creative talents, + not buy any new clothing:

http://madebytess.typepad.com/weblog/2007/03/wardrobe_refash.html

I will have to stick to my existing balance of 80% oppie, 10% cheap crap, 5% expensive splurges + 5% going without, all thrown together with a generous dose of creativity. I reckon I do alright.

Claire said...

And yes Sarah, you have mentioned that he is a funny bugger. You have outlined his entire list of selling points + I shudder to think of the advocating you might be doing on my behalf. I ain't promising anything but we're having coffee on Saturday. I will give it a shot... if only to get you off my back until the next bachelor arrives on the scene.

crybaby said...

i also find cue to be an excellent source of knits.

they have plenty of sales, their warehouse stores are great value and if you join the cue club, they give you an extra 30% off sale price every now and then.

crybaby said...

i also like to go second hand. my waredrobe is about the same percentile make up as yours.

and i am a girly girl and proud. now, pass me that drill, i've got some work to do.