01 March 2007

motormouth

A very sleepy Monday lunchtime. Dreary drizzly conditions warranting leftover noodles in front of the computer + a quick bash at the blog. I haven’t written much recently cos I’ve been a bit flat, + I hate moaning on about it when I’m in the pancake zone. It gives the impression that my entire existence is a misery, when that’s so not the case. My life is an enormous joy, interspersed with moments of feeling sorry for meself. I don’t want to give those moments the weight of documentation. I want to focus on the good + meaningful. But hey, I’m still simply dribbling on about myself, + what makes one state more valuable than another. Here's the catch-up.

I’ve been smiling at…
My complete lack of resolve… not that it should come as a surprise to anyone. Let's do the new year's run through now that we're two months in:

--karaoke + beer appreciation have not yet been attempted. Actually, beer has been appreciated on a regular basis. But not with any actual theory behind it.
--dvd fines are still playing havoc with my pocket money.
--dancing rocks – + I have definitely been fitting some in – but not nearly as much as I’d hoped. And the classes are a disaster. Who’s stoopid idea was it to commit to extra-curriculars on a Saturday!?! I’m never around to go to class. That’s not going to change anytime soon.
--boys… well… embarrassing failure on that front. The whole no-boys-thang lasted for nearly six weeks, at which point I met + fell for a “consummate bachelor” (according to his cousin) who lives in Melbourne + is obsessed with old cars + pranks. Practical on oh-so-many levels. And I am worrying about boys, in spite of all my best intentions.

No one seems in any way alarmed at my lack of self-discipline on the no-boys-thang. In fact Bez’s response, when I started to tell her about it, was (verbatim) yes claire, i accept that you are going to melbourne to sleep with some guy you haven't physically met yet. (is this right?) + this seems normal to me. if you'd met him through friends or at a party (for example) i'd be concerned. Well, as I said to Bez, bring on the concern, because my reputation as a shallow slut has obviously been upset by this one. I met Melbourne-boy at a wedding (i.e. through friends and at a party). And he's Emma’s cousin, so there's a real-life, flesh and blood link to people I actually know. Ha!

As another resolutionary aside… I did grow my pit hair for two months. It felt satisfying, it felt raw, it felt real, I was living to please myself, then I met a boy + shaved it all off again. WHAT IS WITH THAT!? Said boy experienced me with hairy pits + had no complaints, so it’s not as if it was coming from him. I just wanted to feel feminine (said in whingiest of whingey-girl tones). Even though I am very firm on the point that hairlessness does not equal feminineness. WHAT IS WITH THAT!? Embarrassingly (yes, I sometimes read All Men Are Liars), I found some food for thought on this exact same topic.

I’ve been listening to…
Two fabulous recommendations from Nicole – ‘Deep Cuts’ by The Knife + 'Arular' by M.I.A. Both brilliant driving albums that have been on high-rotation for several weeks now. The obsession will pass… maybe. Saw Sarah Blasko in concert at the Heritage the other week + she was as sublime as usual. Holley’s description of her as a porcelain doll crossed with a robot was spot-on. I think she even won Ethan over. Top stuff!

I’ve been watching…
Way more than usual, given that I’m making something to include in Gin’s show. (Opening next week… aargh… deadline!) How does creativity equate to telly-watching? Weird I know, but when I’m stitching there is nothing better than a juicy series to multi-task over. I’ve even ramped it up a level to watch Love My Way + Six Feet Under simultaneously. So so good.

Speaking of stitching... lunchtime has moved into hometime + I better get back to it!

No comments: