18 September 2008

first egg out of the pot

I've just hit 'apply now' + sent my first job application off into the ether. That final click was almost a letdown after the protracted trauma of Clairey Re-engaging Her Brain. Wham! Biffo! Ouch! The pulling teeth metaphor is kinda apt as it felt like every sentence had to be yanked from my sleepy head with a strong piece of string + a slamming door. I had several near tanty moments + had to bribe myself with an entire packet of honey jumbles. But it's done. And miracle of miracles, I think it's okay.

It's such a funny process, isn't it? I always feel like a wanker when I start out - "I am this + I am that + oooh, look at how brilliant I am" - but I have to admit that by the end of it I'm often believing my own spin + thinking "SHIT YEAH! I can do that!" Hmmm... I suspect that I am now sounding like a wanker as well as feeling like one.

In news of an animal nature... I was invited over to a neighbour's place for lunch yesterday + spent a divine couple of hours playing farms. Tambo the dog greeted me at the front gate, followed closely by Baaarnaby, the cutest black lamb you've ever seen. He was so soft + cuddly + I got to feed him his lunch after we downed our pumpkin soup. Then I hung out in Jan's rare breed chookery with the most the most beautiful birds - silkies + sussex + lots of others whose names I can't remember. I was sent home with a dozen fresh eggs. Animals! Aren't they incredible?!

I uncovered a boiled egg mystery yesterday. You know how some eggs won't peel properly after you've boiled them? Well they're the fresh ones. Eggs have to be at least a couple of days old before they're peel-able. Now I just need someone to explain asparagus pee + I'll be sorted!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

ASPARAGUS PEE? WTF. I'm waiting for that explanation.

Tone

Anonymous said...

Oh my dear you are getting quite the education aren't you!... I have officially been offered my first solo exhibition... be it out at the uni, but the whole space will be mine!... packing it, but also super excited... now I just have to fill said space with fabulousness... HELP!!
BW xo

Claire said...

Haha! I take it you are not an asparagus-pee-er Tone. Most people's pee has a strange smell after they eat asparagus. Some freaks of nature - such as yourself by the sound of things - are oddly exempt from this phenomenon.

Don't say you never learn anything new from me!

And Birdsworth - FABULOUS news on the exhibition! Congrats! Don't worry, the work will come. I just sent out the latest 'art camp' info so that should act as inspiration too.

Hugs to you both.
xxx

Anonymous said...

Its time to embrace Wikipedia Claire
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asparagus

I love the internet

Claire said...

Thanks B! I'm quietly stoked to discover that we ALL have asparagus pee. And I'm struggling to remember a time without wikipedia... how did we answer such important questions before?!

Anonymous said...

I don't have the autosomal gene to smell it - I really feel like I have been ripped off!

Tone

Claire said...

Maybe that's a blessing in disguise, my love!