14 August 2008

my life as a list (insomnia)

Sleep has always been my friend, refuge, escape. I've sought out her still veil whenever the noise of waking life has felt too much. Feigning illness as a primary school child + retreating to the sick bay. A kind of broom closet for the unwell where I would slip in + out of darkness on a hard camp stretcher, lulled by the clack of typewriter keys from the adjoining office, waiting for someone to come + fetch me.

I developed an illicit addiction to Days of our Lives + longed for our sagging, rose-patterned couch, for Brooke + Beau + the full parade of unlikely hair-dos to leap back into my life. My understanding of plot was limited. I would have struggled to keep up if I'd seen it every day, no chance with a handful of episodes each year. But it didn't matter. There was something about the drama, the intensity, the long soapie stares, that was soothing + infinitely preferable to school.

After my fix I would head to bed + sleep until someone came to coo over me. I felt more noticed in sickness than in health. It was definitely the only time I had access to trash tv. Sometimes Mum would bring home a bottle of dry ginger ale, the forbidden elixir of soft drink, one of the best attentions available.

I was at home alone when Brian died. Danny called to tell me + I knew from the first sound that came from his mouth, the first breath, that Brian was gone. I was thirteen. I think it was November. It was my first real experience of loss. It wasn't unexpected, but when it came I didn't know what to do with it, where to put it. The emotions stormed around me + I went straight to bed, waking only to relay the news to my family.

The tears wouldn't stop the next morning. I walked into school + the corridors cleared in front of me, like parting seas. Burly Year 10s making way for this little girl grieving. The only time I felt space + respect within that first tumultuous year of high school. Our grief was real + it was treated that way. We gathered in the school hall + cried together.

Sleep had always been my friend, refuge, escape. My Saturday afternoon luxury. My healer, rejuvenator, loyal companion. My retreat in times of grief + sadness. Pete used to say that if sleeping was an olympic sport I could win gold for Australia. Then he went + broke my heart. Insomnia made itself known as my unpredictable nemesis. Sometimes the bed is a saviour. Sometimes the bed is a battleground. Perhaps we all know that on some level.

5 comments:

Gonzo Gonzalez said...

Who/what was ( was, past tense... should I have asked who 'is') Brian?

Anonymous said...

hey hun
i hear ya!... funny my last entry on miss sl talks of sleep aswell... hope all is well... sorry for mammoth email the other day... your little sojourn may very well be inspiring me to do my own...will buzz on my return from the snow
bw xo

Claire said...

Brian was a friend of mine who died when we were both in Year 7, after fighting cancer for many years.

I decided to try a new writing exercise + that's what came out.

Birdsworth - you're lovely. Hope the snow was a good experience, in one form or another. I'll respond to your email sometime soon. Promise.

Anonymous said...

Hi love, I almost started crying reading this at my desk.
Have been catching up on your life (you know I am terrible at general correspondence).

Hubby and I bought a new house last week so will have room for you to stay in Sydney when needed.

Claire said...

Thanks B. I was thinking of you while I was writing this + considering the idea that we might not be the friends we are today if we hadn't gone through that together. It's such a truism that something good always comes from something bad. And you are something very good... emails or no emails! I know you're thinking of me. And I'll be taking up that spare room offer as soon as I can.

PS: Any photos of the new place? Congrats!