29 April 2008

trash-bag

Today feels kinda like a day for returning to the blog, kinda like a day where there is nothing to be said at all. I'll slap some stuff down + see what happens. Let the words decide. Trash or treasure? It could go either way.

For the 0.2% of my people who don't yet know... I broke a rib, nana-style, a week + a half ago. I was racing a basket of washing through the rain + turned impromptu acrobat when I hit some slippery steps, completely knocking the stuffing out of meself in the process. It was a scary exercise + definitely not something I'd endorse. It's also plunged me into a melancholy, I must admit.

I've never been a great invalid. I get all mopey + pathetic + bored. So far the rib incident has been akin to a bad case of laryngitis I had just before P + I broke up. Day One of silence was almost a buzz. I'd never really lost my voice before + it had novelty value. By Day Seven I was ready to scream... although, of course, I couldn't. The novelty of my first broken bone has completely + utterly passed. I'm now oscillating between hammy hypochondria + genuine pain-fest. I keep waiting to snap out of it + feel consistently better. And I guess I will. In six weeks when the fracture has actually healed. For now I can survive with hurting a bit, not being able to walk much, not being able to lift stuff + generally not being able to do exactly what I want to do. I am thankful that it wasn't anything worse. A broken arm, for example, or a crushed skull. But when I'm ouchy + grumpy the tendency is to return to woeful-invalid-girl. Moan moan moan. Get over yourself woeful-invalid-girl!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I was promted to re visit your blog because of your email this morning. Me no know about said rib fracture... Hope you are now feeling somewhat more better - is that even english!... in keeping with my trek down the long road of philosophy (which I am currently studying)... everything happens for a reason... even a broken rib... take care of yourself and see you soon
birdsworth xxoo

Claire said...

Thanks Birdsworth - I am indeed feeling much better. The love + concern + deliveries of chocolate have definitely helped! (The insistence on lifting heavy things + generally acting like a dickhead has not... but that's a whole other story!)